High-index lenses are lenses with a higher refractive index, which makes them thinner and more lightweight than regular lenses.
One of the latest technologies in prescription lenses, high-index refractive lenses have many advantages over traditional glasses lenses. In this article, we will explore high-index lenses, their advantages, and to whom high-index lenses might be the best option for their vision needs.
High-index glasses are made of a material having higher refractive index than ordinary glass or plastic lenses. The refractive index indicates how much light bends after passing through a material.
The refractive index of a material is directly proportional to the efficacy of the material to bend light. i.e the higher the refractive index, the more ability of the material to bend light.
Types of High Index lenses
CR-39 is a type of plastic lens material that has been around for several decades. It has a low refractive index of 1.50, which means it is not technically a hi-index lens. However, it is still lighter and thinner than regular glass lenses. CR-39 lenses are affordable and have excellent optical clarity, making them a popular choice for people who want a basic, cost-effective lens for their eyeglass frames or sunglasses.
Polycarbonate lenses are made from a type of plastic that is highly impact-resistant. They have a refractive index of 1.59, which is higher than CR-39 lenses. Polycarbonate lenses are also lighter and thinner than CR-39 lenses, making them a good choice for people who want a durable and lightweight lens. They are popular for sports and other activities where impact resistance is important.
Trivex is a relatively new type of lens material that was introduced in the early 2000s. It has a refractive index of 1.53, which is slightly higher than CR-39 lenses. Trivex lenses are highly impact-resistant and are also very lightweight. They have excellent optical clarity and are a good choice for people who want a high-quality, durable lens.
Hi Index Plastic
High index plastic lenses are made from materials with a refractive index of 1.60 or higher. They are the thinnest and lightest lenses available, making them a good choice for people with high prescriptions. However, high index plastic lenses can be more expensive than other types of high index lenses.
High Index Glass.
High index glass lenses are made from materials with a refractive index of 1.80 or higher. They are the thinnest and lightest lenses available, and they also have excellent optical clarity. However, hi index glass lenses are the most expensive type of lens and are not as impact-resistant as other high index lenses.
Disadvantages of traditional lenses.
Normal lenses have been made of glass or plastic with low refractive index. These materials have worked very well for people but they also have many disadvantages:
Glass lenses can break easily
Plastic lenses are too thick to distort vision, especially for those people who wear high-prescription glasses.
Low refractive index glasses are uncomfortable for people having a high prescription for an extended period of time.
Low-refractive lenses have distortions and aberrations.
Advantages of Hi Index lenses.
Hi-index lenses have many advantages over normal lenses:
1) They are thin and lightweight, making them more comfortable to wear especially for those who have high-prescription glasses. People wearing higher refractive index enjoy thin and lightweight glasses that are comfortable for them all the day
2) High-index lenses can bend light more efficiently which is why they reduce distortion and abrasions
3) High-index lenses are more aesthetically convenient than normal glasses lenses. They are more flattening on the eyes and can make the eyes more natural. This is especially beneficial for people who are more concerned about the appearance of their glasses and want to feel confident and comfortable wearing them.
4) High-index lenses are the best option for people with a high prescription and concerned about the appearance and comfort of their glasses
High-index lenses are not for everyone:
1) They are more expensive
2) Not all eyeglasses frames are not compatible with high-index refractive glasses
3) High-index lenses may not be necessary for everyone. If a patient has a low prescription, low-index lenses may be suitable for him. That is perfectly adequate for his needs.
High-index lenses are the latest type of eyeglass lenses that have several advantages over normal lenses. They are thinner and lighter and can provide a better quality of vision. Aesthetically making them the best option for people with a high prescription. However, they are not necessary for everyone and are more costly than normal lenses. If you are considering about high index lenses consult your eye care provider whether they are suitable for your vision and lifestyle.