The four lens frame was designed and patented by a doctor Richardson of London. Originally, this frame served a medical purpose. The first four lens frames featured oval lenses. “D” shaped lenses followed in the early 1800s. Many of the “D” shaped four lens frames were used like safety glasses. Stage coaches and early railroad passengers used such frames to keep coal cinders and dust out of the eye. Remember, early railroad cars were not enclosed. The four lens frame faded from popularity around 1875.